How well do you know your car safety rules? Take this quiz to find out.
1. Why should you slow down and pay attention to the speed limit when driving?
- You’ll have more time to react in an emergency
- You’ll reduce the risk of skidding or running off the road
- You’ll put less wear and tear on your car
- All of the above
2. Which of these factors makes it tougher for teens to stay safe on the road?
- Teen drivers have less driving experience than older drivers
- Seat belts are not designed to fit the average teenager
- Newer cars lack the stability and safety of older models
- Cell phone laws prevent teens from calling for help in an emergency
3. When should you use your vehicle’s hazard lights?
- When you are in a rush and need other traffic to get out of your way
- To alert other drivers after you’ve pulled a broken-down vehicle off the roadway
- When your vehicle does not have fog lights
- To let your friends know where you are parked
4. When is it safe NOT to wear your seat belt?
- When traveling only a short distance
- When driving only on roads you take every day
- When driving in a parking lot or driveway
- Trick question – if the vehicle is moving, you should wear your seat belt!
5. Your vehicle’s “check engine” light just turned on. What should you do?
- While continuing to drive, read the owner’s manual to figure out what it means
- Keep driving and call your parents
- Stop in a safe place in order to prevent damage to the engine
- Ignore it – it’s just a suggestion
6. Which age group has the highest rate of motor vehicle crash deaths nationwide?
- 15-19 year olds
- 20-25 year olds
- 40-50 year olds
- 50-65 year olds
7. Texting behind the wheel is dangerous because:
- It requires you to take at least one hand off the wheel
- It makes it more likely that you’ll look away from the road to read or type
- It distracts your brain from paying attention to traffic and road signs
- All of the above
8. When is it safe to use your cell phone in the driver’s seat?
- At night, when there are fewer people on the roads
- When a friend won’t stop calling or texting you until you answer
- After the vehicle is parked
- Anytime, as long as you are only making a phone call
9. To make sure you can see clearly in rain or snow, you should:
- Drive fast to blow the rain or snow off the windshield
- Clear your windshield by hand if it begins to rain
- Keep your windshield washer fluid tank full and clean the spray nozzles regularly
- Roll down your window and stick your head out so you can see
10. Why should you always try to keep your gas tank at least one-quarter full?
- Most vehicles stop running if the tank is not at least one-quarter full
- Running on fumes can cause the internal fuel pump to break
- A full gas tank provides weight and traction on slippery roads
- Cars get their best gas mileage when the tank is full
Answers: 1. D 2. A 3. B 4. D 5. C 6. A 7. D 8. C 9. C 10. B