Austin Car Accident Caused by Road Conditions
Texas Road Conditions & Accident Attorneys
If you or a loved one was seriously injured in a car accident caused by poor road conditions in Texas, you may have a legal right to compensation. It is important to determine who may be to blame and how best to pursue a claim for monetary damages.
The Bob Richardson Law Firm can help. Call or contact us online today and our attorneys can schedule a free consultation to answer important questions such as:
- Who may be to blame for a car accident caused by bad road conditions?
- What steps do I need to take to make a claim for a car accident caused by road defects?
- What compensation could I be entitled to if I am hurt in a crash that resulted from dangerous road conditions?
Types of Accidents Caused by Road Conditions
There are several parties that may be responsible for an accident that results from bad road conditions.
For example, the government entity responsible for maintaining the road could be responsible if missed maintenance created a dangerous condition that caused a crash. Some examples of situations where the government may be held responsible include crashes caused by:
- Grooved pavement
- Hidden or unreadable road signs
- Worn pavement
- Uneven pavement
- Poor drainage
- Erosion of the shoulder of the road
- Debris on roadways
Holding the government responsible can be difficult because limited sovereign immunity protections apply. You must follow specific steps and have strong proof of negligence, which an attorney may be able to help you to obtain.
In other cases, the road conditions are not a problem with the road itself but are instead caused by weather. If a road is icy or there is low visibility due to fog or rain, drivers are expected to change their behavior to accommodate for these conditions. A driver who fails to do so and who drives in a way that is unsafe for the current weather may be considered negligent, and you may be able to make a claim against that motorist.
Making a Claim for an Accident Caused by Bad Road Conditions?
If a crash is caused by poor road conditions and you wish to take legal action you should:
- Determine who may be to blame for the crash.
- Notify the government agency responsible for injuries, if applicable to your case.
- File a civil lawsuit in court against the responsible party stating the facts of your case and providing information on the legal basis for your claim.
- Gather evidence of fault, including accident reports, photographs from the scene, testimony of witnesses and the testimony of an accident reconstruction expert.
- Prove in court that the defendant owed you some legal obligation (like the obligation to drive safely or the obligation to maintain the roads) and failed to live up to that obligation.
- Demonstrate the extent of your injuries and losses to a jury so you can be compensated for the damages that occurred because of the accident.
Specific steps that must be taken in lawsuits against government entities may differ from a standard injury claim. An attorney can explain the additional requirements.
It is also important to know that many claims settle out of court, which means that the defendant (the responsible party or the insurance company) offers payment for your losses in exchange for you giving up the right to sue.
Talk to a lawyer before you sign any settlement documents since you cannot change your mind once you settle.
Compensation for a Crash Caused by Dangerous Road Conditions
After a crash caused by dangerous road conditions, you may be entitled to compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- The wrongful death of a family member
The Bob Richardson Law Firm can help you get the compensation you deserve for your losses.
Texas has a two-year statute of limitations for personal injury and wrongful death cases. Depending on the parties involved in your accident, the deadline for taking action may arrive even sooner. That’s why it’s important to contact a skilled and experienced Texas accident attorney as soon as possible after you’ve been involved in a crash caused by poor road conditions.
Call The Bob Richardson Law Firm today or use our online contact form. We can provide you with a free case evaluation, and we won’t charge you for our services unless you recover a verdict or settlement.